When you think “dentist”, even those adults still fear them in case of any procedure that has to be done. After all, everyone is sensitive when it comes to their mouths, especially on the inside.
Family dentistry has become a “hit” nowadays. If you have been looking around for a family dental care los angeles, it is quite easy to find. But when you hear “family dentistry” what do you really think of? What makes it different from a general or comprehensive dentist? What are your expectations from a family-oriented dentist’s office?
General dentists are not all family dentists. Typically, dentists who focus more on the family have some training when it comes to working with children, but they are not as specialized as pediatric dentists. Family dentistry gives you guidance when it comes to the oral health needs of the family, you, spouse and children included.
Those who specialize in families know that the children have a set of dental needs in comparison to adults and they are specifically trained to ensure that the unique oral hygiene they require is met.
You can think of family dentists or family dental clinics as an all-inclusive store. A major benefit they can do for you is that they help you through your dental health from infancy, the stretch of childhood and teenage years, all the way into adulthood. They are aware of the changes in a child’s mouth that take place all throughout the stages of their life.
What to Expect from a Family Dentistry Service
Oral hygiene and preventive dentistry are the main offers of the family dentists, though there are some who also offer orthodontia, oral surgery such as dental implants, and cosmetic dentistry. Some of the most common services include:
- Regular 6-month Cleanings and Exams – Cleaning of the teeth and every 6 months exams are crucial. They give your dentist permission to observe the health and oral hygiene of your family.
- Fluoride Treatments and Dental Sealants – The mentioned can help battle cavities.
- Cavity Checks and Fillings – In childhood oral health, the most common preventable condition is cavities. Family dentists are trained to identify and treat the cavities with fillings.
- Orthodontics – A majority of the family dentists can offer you orthodontics assessments.
- Gum Disease Treatment – This is very common for adults. The procedures typically involve deep cleaning, gum flap surgery, and giving of antibiotics.
Many family dentists also offer more services.